Thursday, 19 December 2013

Happiness is a Hunch Proved Right

You know, it doesn't take much to make a scholar librarian happy!  Remember Pirates Daniel Wright and John Walsh?  The book which never WAS published by Wright, but was compiled by Walsh from two of his own existing publications?

Before I had worked out what the 'mystery volume' in Dundee's Wighton Collection actually was, I divided the two sets of irregularly interleaved pages into what I thought were two volumes.  One was, I thought, more Scottish in flavour than the other one.

I identified the two source volumes, and felt rather proud of myself.  This week, I received the scans of both source volumes from the British Library.  Now I'm even happier: I've just discovered the title of the second volume - the one I thought was more Scottish - has a little, tiny subtitle:-

'Consisting of Irish, Welsh and Scotch Tunes'

No comments:

Post a Comment